Thursday, November 10, 2011

There be Dragons



Close up of the head



So like Skyrim is coming out soon... and well that wasn't the reason I did these. I found out there was a contest for a Facebook game I play to kill time, and they were looking for users to create what they thought the new dragon players would get would look like. Of course I found the contest an hour and a half before it was over, and missed the deadline by an hour... but you never know. I might get lucky haha.

The basic idea was it had to be a dragon that would inhabit this macabre, dreary graveyard-like expansion in the game. Which had all these blue glowing gems/lights. The expansion was also a place that collected souls and allowed you to revive your dead troops. It would also be a powerful unit that you had to charge with souls. My dragon would have to fit those criteria.

Anyways, did this up with a few quick silhouettes. Sketched out some rough lineart, and base color (purple in this case). Then set about refining lines, anatomy (or whatever I thought looked cool), and adding/subtracting modifications as I went. Then a quick color for shadow, and a lighter blu-ish purple for the lights which I felt made it match with the color scheme of the expansion. I ended up not wanting to do the wings (no rule in the contest said it had to have wings), so I made what I already had into these sort of vents, spewing energy/smoke/steam, in an attempt to make it mesh with the gems on the chest. Which had this sort of glowing mist falling from it. Which I felt really added to the dragon since it was soul powered. Then I played around adding kind of these glowing fractures/cracks in the horns. Then I realized I was overdue for the contest haha. So, I quickly finished the tail and threw my signature on it and called it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment