Thursday, August 23, 2012

Darksiders 2 Death


Been awhile since I posted, but only for a lack of material to post. So wow... almost 1k pageviews again and I'm getting hits from places like Kenya haha. So thank you again to all you anonymous vistors. Hopefully the amount of work/me rambling about art stuff in this post will tide me over for awhile again.

Anyways, here's my sculpt of Death from Darksiders 2! Did it in less than a week as well, I would of taken longer if I had more than a week to do it in. As you may or may not be able to tell I had to rush through some stuff just to get it done. I would of liked to of figured out how to make certain armor pieces as I saw them in the concept work, but I didn't have the time. The gauntlets however are of my own design, as I couldn't find something more than simple, and less than epic in the images I looked through. I think they look like they fit in surprisingly well, but I had spent the last few days doing the rest of the armor so that helped me along with their design too.

Doing my best to nail the art style was also quite a challenge. Only going off the concept will get you so far, you really have to look at some normal anatomy also to figure out what 'that muscle' looks like so you can exaggerate it properly. Case in point I did not realize that the muscles over his shoulder blades were actually his shoulder blades, till I looked at some normal stuff and saw that those were the exaggerated muscles on your scapula. It also does not want to obey the normal rules of proportion most of the time. To make the head look right I had to extend the neck up quite a bit, but overall it looks right doesn't it? Having your own style is cool and all, but the rules are there for a reason. However, knowing when to break them is quite possibly one of the most important things you could learn.

Anyways his coattail/kilt parts (I don't know the proper name) aren't ragged yet cause I figured it would be easier to do when I make my low poly version with some alpha maps. Speaking of which, this almost 4.6mil poly model will be pretty useless unless I can get a nice low poly version finished. Which is also my next challenge as well as unwrapping/texturing this whole thing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment